To book one of our offers, you must register as a user with your e-mail. Choose your trip and make the payment or pre-reservation. For some Tours or Activities, you will see that there is the possibility of adding other services or experiences and thus adding more fun or guarantee to your experience. We invite you to carefully read both the content of the program and the additional proposals that we make to you. You decide which options are the most interesting to you. Only in those events where the services can be confirmed automatically, you will you see the payment options activated by card or Paypal. Otherwise, the only option available will be to pay by bank transfer. To make this transfer, previously we will receive your request, and we will answer you, within a period that is usually 24/48 hours from payment or pre-blocking.
As you can see, booking your Tour or activity with Creative Rural is very simple.
1.- You have to select the Tour or Activity. Then, we will ask you for a few parameters, such as the departure date, the number of adults and children, the departure city or the type of room.
2.- The page will show you the total price of the trip.
3.- Click on Booking button and start Step 1 of the reservation
4.- Enter the passenger information and click Continue.
5.- Continue with Step 2. Add if you want any extra and if you have a discount code or redeem your Loyalty points. Continue.
6.- Step 3: Select your payment method. You can pay by transfer or by credit card (sometimes you can only pay with a bank transfer)
7.- Step 4: Confirmation. You will receive an e-mail with the confirmation of your reservation or pre-reservation and the number of your order.
If you have a discount code, remember to send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, to activate it.
Our activity offers must be paid at the time of purchase, while for Tours, payment can be made in two steps (different days):
Payment of 40% of the Tour at the time of booking and the remaining 60% must be paid, when the combined travel contract is formalized or according to the payment schedule that the agency informs the client before making the reservation). In general, this means at least fifteen days before the departure date (seven days for short breaks). In case the client does not make the rest of the payments on the agency indicated dates, the place will be considered as cancelled, applying, in such case, the conditions outlined in the cancellations section.
Your payment can be made with the following methods:
– Online payment through our booking engine (the following credit cards are valid: Visa, Master Card / Euro Card), or
– Bank transfer (in the account of Banco Sabadell number ES51 0081 0129 4400 0172 1775 in the name of Creative Rural, S.L). If only the transfer payment appears as an asset (and not the card or PayPal payment), it means that the trip or activity is not immediately confirmed, so you better wait for us to confirm availability. It is essential that as a reference of income you indicate the number of your order and your name. For any questions that may arise, you can send us an e-mail to email@example.com.